As winter winds down and the promise of warmer and sunnier weather puts a spring in our collective step, it is an excellent time for cleaning and preparing our bodies as well as our homes. Most of us understand the importance of financial planning, but how many of us have an action plan for our health?
The following suggestions will help structure a personal plan to make sure we are on track with our physical spring cleaning:
- Organise any necessary or overdue check-ups. Many of the major diseases that affect us can be dealt with far more easily if they are picked up at an early stage. Ensure you test for C Reactive Protein levels. Anything above 3.0 mg/l is indicative of high levels of inflammation and should be addressed.
- Take stock of your eating habits. Have a look in your pantry and refrigerator. Are there lots of packaged, processed foods? Time for a spring clean! At least 80% of what you eat should be unprocessed organic food that grows. Throw or give away anything that does not fit the criteria. Make a list of unprocessed organic foods that you enjoy and purchase them.
- Plan at least 2 hours per week of focused exercise and physical activity. Lack of physical activity is the number one predictor of premature death and poor quality of life. Search out professionals who can maximize results in a safe and effective manner.
- Pursue the relaxation response. The vast majority of us who live and work in cities are adrenally fatigued to some degree. This not only limits the body’s ability to recover from exercise, but also adversely affects physical and mental performance, immune system, sex drive and virtually every aspect of our health. Breathing drills, Tai Chi, and meditation are all vital components of any health regime and strategy. As philosopher General Sun Tzu said, “When at peace, prepare for war”.
- Live within your circadian rhythms as much as possible. Our bodies are designed to rise and set with the sun. When we follow these rhythms, we have lower cortisol levels (a stress hormone), increased anabolic drive hormones and overall better mental and physical performance.
Your health is the foundation upon which your life is built. You cannot perform well physically or mentally, or enjoy whatever possessions you may have, without it.
Make the decision to take ownership of your health from this point on. It is the most valuable asset you have.
Yours in health,
Corporate Health Management
P.O. BOX 90943 A.M.S.C AUCKLAND 1142
021 638 383
Contact David for:
Personal Training, Exercise Regimes & Corporate Breathing Seminars