BY NATALIE PARR, TALENTOLOGIST, FROG RECRUITMENT
Looking back to when I started my career, I had little office experience and really wanted to gain exposure in the office environment, a friend of mine suggested temping. Funnily enough I started temping within a recruitment agency, which is how my recruitment career started…
I now find myself at the other end of the spectrum; managing temporary talent. I would like to share a few points around the world of temping and an insight from not only a recruiter but also a previous temp myself.
- Meeting new people – it’s exciting at any stage of life and you can establish long lasting relationships which provide for great references and future connections.
- Learning new skills – often you can be expected to ‘hit the ground running’ in a temporary role which can result in learning a wealth of new skills and systems.
- Industry exposure – this can be a large benefit of temping, it can give you a ‘way in’ to those industries you desire.
- Gaining experience – as in my past situation, temping can be a great way to gain experience in roles that you could have previously not been considered for.
- Keeping active in the market – temping is a great way to keep your skills fresh and prevent gaps in your CV.
- Extra dollars in the bank – this should go without saying but especially if you are temping in the interim whilst looking for the perfect permanent role, it will keep you busy and can be a good little earner.
- Flexibility – whether you are available for short or long term, temping opportunities can be tailored to your schedule.
- Variety – following on from my previous points, temping offers a great deal of variety which can be stimulating and refreshing.
- Opening doors to permanent – now and again temping opportunities can result in permanent employment, so do ensure you always put your all into a temporary assignment!
- Temping can be unpredictable – when working with a recruitment agency it’s all about suiting your experience to the assignments that come up day to day. You could have an assignment within a day but alternatively you might need to wait a short while for the perfect assignment to become available.
Building relationships is a key take back from this article; ensure you build a solid relationship with your temporary consultant and keep them updated – it’s always appreciated and very welcome.
I thoroughly enjoyed the diverse world of temping and as a result of the skills I picked up, it put me in good stead for my future career. This style of work has become a passion of mine and I am now fortunate enough to be able to assist a range of different people in experiencing the invigorating world of temping.
Dazzling temporary talent is in constant demand in today’s market – could temping be right for you?